The most conspicuous building in Murshidabad is the Hazarduari Palace built by Nawab Nazim
which stands on the bank of the Bhagirathi.
It was designed and built under the supervision of Colonel Duncan McLeod
of the Bengal Corps of Engineers (father of Sir Donald McLeod);
the foundation stone was laid in 9th
August 1829, and the building was completed in 1837.
The Palace itself is called the Bara Kothi
i.e. the house with a thousand doors
, and the enclosure within which
it is situated is known as the Nizamat Kila
This contains, in addition to the Palace, the Imambara
the Madina Mosque, a Clock Tower
three mosques and residential and other quarters. It is entered
by several large gates bearing different names, such as Dakshin Darwaza
, Chawk and Imambara.
The main gates have Naubat Khanas or musicians galleries
and the entrances are large and high enough for an elephant to pass with a howdah on its back.
The Palace is a three storied building, rectangular on plan (424 feet Long and 200 feet broad and 80 feet high).
The building is an excellent example of Indo-European architecture, strongly reminiscent of Italian style,
as seen in its huge flight of stairs in front (perhaps the largest in India), in the Colossal pillars and also
in the facet of the building. 37 steps of stone, the lowermost one of which is 108 feet long, lead up to the upper
portico; 7 stately pillars, the perimeter of each of which, at the base is 18 feet, support the pediment,
in the tympanum of which is the Nawabi Coat of Arms and Unicorn. On either side, at the foot of the grand staircase,
is a masonry lion in sitting posture, at the back of which are stone slabs embedded in the walls of the pedestals
for tripple lamp posts.
The Palace was used for holding the "Durbar
" or meetings and other official work of the
Nawabs as also for the residents of the high ranking British Officials. It now houses a Museum displaying the
collection of Nawabs consisting of extremely rich collection of antiquarian remains which include arms and weapons,
paintings of Dutch, Flemish
, French, English and Italian artists, bronze and marble statues,
costumes and jewelry, palanquins and carriages, objects of gold, silver and ivory besides beautiful,
ceramic vases, wooden furniture's, cut-glass chandeliers belonging mostly to the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
On the ground floor of the Palace are the Toshakhana
offices and record rooms; on the first floor are the Durbar Hall
throne-room, banqueting hall, drawing room, sitting rooms and
. The second floor contains a ball room, library,
, portrait gallery, bedrooms, etc. The Durbar Hall is
crowned by a dome 63 feet high, from which hangs a magnificent
candelabrum with 96 lamps. The palace contains
many artistic treasures, rare pictures, costly jewelry, old arms,
wonderful copies of the Koran, etc.
Many of the most interesting objects have been lent to the Victoria Memorial
, at Kolkata.
There are four inner stair cases of peculiar construction, consisting of 76 steps each, all but two of which are
paved with stone and protected by rails topped by well-polished mahogany. The steps and the stairs are to all
appearances, supportless at the exterior ends. These lead up to the corridors. At the corners, are four spiral
staircases for servants. The uppermost staircase leads to the roof, from which a beautiful panoramic view is
obtained of the Fort and the surrounding.
The exterior walls of the ground floor are over 6 feet wide. The Toshakhana
, the Armoury, the Record Rooms
are located on the ground floor. The whole building is divided into three blocks connected by
corridors and rooms. Between the central and each of the two blocks, on the east and the west, are two open
quadrangles planted with crotons. An iron railing runs round the edifice, the ground between being laid out
in gardens or lawns. The halls, corridors and rooms throughout, are commodious and handsome and are fitted up
with matchless splendor. The decorations are rich and gorgeous; the embellishments and furniture are of
corresponding elegance and unite every thing that is good and lovely.
The main attractions of this historical three storied Palace is now maintained and supervised by the
Archeological Survey of India
, a Department of the
Government of India. The Office of the Chief Archeologist is on the ground floor of this building.
The ground floor includes Armoury
, Record room etc.
The Armoury has 2700 arms in its collections of which only few are displayed.
Swords used by Siraj-ud-Daulla
and his grandfather, Nawab Alivardi Khan
), can be seen here.
The other attractions in this floor are Vintage Cars and Fittan
Cars used by the Nawabs and their families.
The great Durbar Hall is in the second floor. In it is present the throne of the Nawabs.
The 'Durbar Hall
' with its lofty doom (63 feet height) adorned with fine stucco
(kind of plaster or cement used for covering and decorating wall surfaces
) ornamentation, is the most
attractive feature of this monument. The room also has large flower vases and huge marble candle stands.
A room adjacent to the Durbar Hall is the Billiard Room, which has Billiard and Chess boards where the
Nawabs used to spend their leisure hours.
The second floor has in it the Library, rare art collections, Utensils, Howdas and Palanquins besides many
other things. The rare art collections include "The Burial of Sir John Moor
"Adam and Eve
", "Black Bent
" etc. of these painting ,
the "Burial of Sir John Moor
" is the only existing one in the World.
Visitors are not allowed to enter the Library keeping in view the safety and security of the rare collections.
The Library contains more than three thousand manuscripts in Arabic, Persian and Urdu and about 12000 books
in English, Arabic and Persian languages It has in it's collection the whole British Constitution,
a large Album having length about 4 feet and breadth about 3 feet and weighing about 20 kg,
the Holy Koran written in hand by the famous writer of Bagdad, Haroon-Al-Rashid
However, the most precious collections of this library are the original copy of Ain-E-Akbari
written by Abul Fazal
(court poet of the Great Mughal Emperor Akbar
) and a Holy Koran written by Aurangzeb
The calligraphy of this holy Koran has been done with gold water and it's a master piece collection.
The library has a wide range of collections of the holy Koran, having size as small as two inches to as big
as two feet in length. Various manuscripts, letters, maps etc. are also found in the library and researches
are still being carried on to enumerate their historical values.
The Hazarduary Palace with its unique architecture and collection is the main attraction to tourists
visiting Murshidabad just by spending Rs. 10 for Indians and nationals from SAARC member countries; and Rs. 100 for other Nationals one can get
the taste of the Nawabi cultures. The Palace museum remains closed on Friday's.
The visiting hours are from 9 am to 5 pm. SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation) member nations are
India, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Maldives and Pakistan.
The propinquity of the Palace to the bank of the scouring Bhagirathi, from the edge of which it is within 40 feet,
has been unsafe by some as an act of engineering indiscretion. But the foundation walls, laid so deep, are supposed to afford sufficient protection.
The concrete bed for laying the foundation of the Palace was dug so deep that Nawab Nazim Humayun Jah
) in descending to it,
had to step down a ladder and the close atmosphere, consequent on the depth of the excavation and the large
concourse of people that, like a thick wall, stood surrounding it, were responsible for an awkward incident,
for His Highness fainted away and had to be helped up, when he had laid foundation stone and declared it to
have been well and truly laid.
The Nizamat Kila or Fort Area : nizamat-fort.pdf
HAZARDUARI PALACE MUSEUM
- Bengal District Gazetteers, Murshidabad - By L.S.S. O'Malley (1914)
- A history of Murshidabad District (Bengal) With Biographies Of Some Of Its Noted Families (1902) - By John Henry Tull
Assistant Superintending Archaeologist PH : 91 (03482) 271605
Address of ASI Kolkata :
ARCHAEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF INDIA
CGO Complex (4th
floor), Block-DF, Sector-1, Saltlake, Kolkata-700 064
TEL : 91 (033) 23344389, 91 (033) 23343775, FAX : 91 (033) 23344389 EMAIL:email@example.com
Hazarduari Palace Museum
Ever since taking over of the museum by the Archaeological Survey of India in 1985 from the Government of
West Bengal continuous effort has been made to display the exhibits in a grand scale matching with any large
period museum of the country and even abroad. At present the exhibits are displayed in 20 galleries of the
museum spread over sprawling halls and rooms and wide corridors.
Download Gallery Plan of Hazarduari Palace Museum : museum-galleries.pdf
On both sides of the walled space are displayed a carriage, one of which is a camel carriage and the
other a Victorian carriage. These were used by the Nawabs.
In the lobby are displayed some photographs of the monuments at Murshidabad and other parts of Bengal.
Besides, photographs of the important exhibits in the Hazarduari Palace Museum and Cooch Bihar Palace museum are also displayed.
Towards its east is the landing area of a staircase where some curious exhibits are displayed; one of them is a huge
stuffed crocodile another an unusually thick piece of bamboo. Entrance towards the main galleries is obtained from here as
orientation of the museum galleries has been made in such a manner that after viewing the armouries in the ground floor
visitors to the first floor galleries.
Gallery No. 1 & 2 (Armoury Wing A & B)
Rich in historical contents and technical skills, the arms and weapons are shown here in a variety ranging from
bow and arrow; swords and shields; lances and spears; knives and daggers; guns and rifles; pistols and revolvers,
to wheels and cannons. They are often found inscribed with the verses from the holy Koran and noted for their
delicate carvings and exquisite workmanship. Mention may be made of a metal helmet and a rhino-shield, which are
of great value for their rich calligraphy and royal appendage. The pointed "Jamadhara
" and an
unique bifurcated sword called "Zulfikar
" are normally associated with Mir Qasim
The swords are varied because of their usage. Among the arms displayed the few famous are Sword of Alivardi Khan
Multi barreled rifle, Sword of Siraj-ud-Daulla
) .. etc. The Dagger by which Muhammad-i-Beg
killed Siraj-ud-Daulla can also be seen here. Remarkable of all is a cannon, which was used by Mirmadan
in the Battle of Plassey
) in 1757 AD.
The guns are mostly (1) toradar
or match locked, of which there are two kinds, namely Hindi
or Indian and Roomi
or Turkish; and (2) flint
lock, made in
Europe and Mongyer in the 16th
century and later. The Carabines
are mostly of that period. The pistols, which are match
lock, flint lock and percussion cap, are both Indian and European and
include among them many presented to the Nawabs by The East India Company
The Swords are of all kinds and periods and countries. Damase swords made
at Khorasan by Artizans from Damascus in Timur's time; Ispahani
swords manufactured by Asadulla
, the great sword maker of the time
of Shah Abbas
, King of Persia (1571 - 1629 AD), many of which were made
for him; Daggers of every kind, namely Afghanistan Chhoras, Peshkubz (Persian), Koroli (Turkish),
Qama and Khagar (Arabic); Bhoojalis (Indian); Shields, Bows and Arrows; Mohalas
or iron pieces for tusks of
fighting elephants. Tabrs
and Zafer Takias
varieties make up a collection. Most of the arms in the Palace Armoury are those actually used in battle by Nazims,
their generals, Omras and men. Many of these saw Plassey, Giria, Udaynala etc.. The Swords in the Armoury may be
classified as following ::
On exit from the gallery on the staircase landing area the most interesting exhibit is a damaged Dutch Cannon presented
to Nawab Alivardi Khan by the Dutch Government in 1745. It is generally known as the cannon of Mir Madan
a trusted lieutenant of Siraj-ud-Daulla who is said to have died in the battle of Plassey due to the bursting of a cannon.
The magic mirrors on the corners provide amusement to the visitors. The walls of the staircase and the upper floor landing
contain interesting paintings, mention may be made of 'Fallstaff
' by Marchatti
Gallery No. 3 (Halls of Royal Exhibits)
Noted for the magnificent display of the masterpieces of paintings, silver and ivory objects, metal and marble
Statues this gallery throws a welcome light of the contemporary socio-religious, political and cultural life of
the people. This gallery is divided in three halls.
The first part known as the Southeast Royal Exhibits
Hall displaying some
huge oil paintings of the Nawabs, one of which is of Nawab Nazim Humayun Jah (1824-1838 AD) by Hutchinson
and another of Nawab Nazim Feradun Jah
(1838-1881 AD) by B. Hudson
. One of the prized possessions of this museum is anivory palanquin used by Zebunissa
daughter of Aurangzeb (1658 - 1707 AD).
The next part termed as the Central Royal Exhibits
also displays a silver Kamal Howdah
of Sarfaraz Khan
(1739 - 1740 AD),
an ivory Tanjam
(Sedan Chair) of Shah Jahan (1627 - 1657 AD). Another sedan chair used by Nawab
Hassan Ali Mirza
) (1881-1906 AD) is also displayed.
The third part of this gallery also reckoned as South-West Royal Exhibits
Hall has in its centre an exquisite ivory palanquin like seat for use on elephant back (Jhapanak
or ladies palanquin).
But the most splendid thing on display is a huge oil painting captioned 'Burial of Sir John Moore
' by Marshall
. The British General slain
in the battle of Corunna at Spain fought between the English and the French was buried unceremoniously. The scene has been
captured by the master artist in a superb manner. The incident has found place in a poem of Charles Wolfe
titled 'The Burial of Sir John Moore'.
The miniature ivories displayed in the gallery retain a traditional art form and carved in lapidaric intricacy to delineate the details of Hindu pantheons while,
the marble statues speak of contemporary European art in the soft and sensitive contours.
Gallery No. 4 (Landscape Gallery)
The theme of this Gallery is primarily landscape paintings in the palace collection.
In this gallery are displayed some remarkable paintings which include the forceful composition of a
" by G.Campbell
, "Hunting Party
" by William Beechey
" by M.B. Pratt
, "Sea view
" by Schotel
"On the Bosphorus
" by D. Temper
and the famous
"Scene of thirty years war
" by Jorgenson
The bronze statues on the marble table top represent the heroic gestures of some bold knights including the
sculptures of Nelson and Napoleon Bonaparte and a pair of miniature replicas of the statue of liberty.
Gallery No. 5 (British Portrait Gallery)
This Gallery exhibits some master pieces of British portraits which include the busts of the Governor
Generals of Bengal like Lord Cornwallis
(AD 1786-93 and again in 1805), Lord William Bentinck
and Baron Auckland
and the agents of the
East India Company at Murshidabad like Major A. Thompson
, Lieutenant Colonel Mackenzie
Major G.H. Macgregor
(all by Hudson
A fascinating array of porcelain vases in various shapes and sizes displayed upon marble table
tops provide a rich flavour of European Ceramic art both in colour and variety.
Gallery No. 6 (Nawab Nazim Portrait Gallery)
Paintings portraying the Murshidabad Nawabs are displayed here in chronological order starting from Murshid Quli Khan (1706-1727 AD)
and ending with Waresh Ali Mirza (1959-1969 AD). Brass objects like spouted water pot, ornamental flower vase and wine jar etc. are also on display.
Gallery No. 7 (Durbar Hall)
Being the centre of attraction in the entire palace Durbar Hall is conspicuous by its circular plan and
vaulted roof with four doors at the cardinal points. A very large crystal Chandelier of exquisite workmanship
is suspended in the centre to illuminate the entire hall with ninety six lamps.
The grandeur of the hall is projected further by a royal silver throne with its "Chattri
and a Durbari Hookah
in front. The marble platform shows the delicacy of intricate
lattice work and guilded patterns. Two unique marble candle stands in this hall stand as witnesses of exquisite
workmanship of the bygone era.
Gallery No. 8 (Committee Room)
The left side room of the Durbar hall is the committee room which also displays some valuable objects.
On its southern side the silver throne of Nawab Nazim Feradun Jah
) (1838-1881 AD) is
placed on a silver Chouki
(stool). On its back at top a large oil painting showing Feradun Jah in the company of high administrative personnel
can be seen. The beautifully decoratied ivory sofa is noteworthy. Some oil paintings of the Nawabs are also displayed here.
Gallery No. 9 (Billiard Room)
The Billiard Room deserves the attention for the magnificent display of two Billiard tables with their
accessories and different sitting arrangements besides the two marble chess boards in pietra-dura and the
four remarkable paintings. These paintings depict the portrait of "Colonel Duncan McLeod
(architect of this palace) By Hutchinson
, "Marquis of Spinola
(1599 - 1641 AD), "The Rival
By Snyders Frans
(1579 - 1657 AD) and a superb composition of
" By Courbet
Gallery No. 10 (Portrait gallery of Dewans & Nazirs)
The display of this gallery is based on paintings, porcelain vase, glass vase, wooden furniture, chandelier etc.
were the ministers of the Nawabs and collectors of revenue, they used to run the day to day administration
of the Nizamat affairs. Among them portraits of Jankidas Pandey
, Raja Pransanna Narayan Dev
Raja Gangadhar Roy
are on display along with the portraits of the Nazirs
like Amman Ali Khan
, Basant Ali Khan
and Darwali Khan
An interesting portrait of "Bukshoo Abdar Ghetton
" a Glutton
(One who over-indulges in and over-consumes food, drink, or intoxicants to the point of waste
) can be seen on the western wall of this gallery.
Gallery No. 11 (Prince Portrait gallery)
From a family album of the Nawab's these galleries exhibits some remarkable paintings to speak of their
infancy and various other moods. These includes the portraits of Mir Jafar মীরজাফর
(1757-60 AD and 1763-65 AD) and his
son Miran, Nawab Hassan Ali Mirza হাসান আলি
(1881-1906 AD) and Hussain Ali Mirza
together, or accompanied by their sister Wahid-un-nisa Begum
and Wasef Ali Mirza
. The art objects on the side tables comprise porcelain
flower vases, cut-glass melon, porcelain bear and the marble statue of a deer and metal horses.
Gallery No. 12 (Western Drawing Room)
The western drawing room is vibrant with grandeur of western carpet, different sitting arrangements,
luxurious sofas, decorative lamps, Ceramics, various clock items including the display of a piano and a
barometer besides the large canvas painting of King William IV
, Sir Herber Moddok
and a small super
composition of "Katrine
" by Wolic
Gallery No. 13 (Archive Gallery)
This gallery of archieval treasure selected from the library and the record room of Hazarduari Palace,
Murshidabad, is a spectrum of the rule of Nawabs of Murshidabad in Bengal, Bihar and Orissa, of the Mughal empire
during the last few centuries. The Nawabs of Murshidabad apart from being rulers and governors of these provinces
were indeed connoisseur of art and patron of literature and culture. The exhibits displayed in this gallery
have been meticulously selected from a huge collection in such a way that it should provide a picture of the life
at the time of "Nizamat
" This gallery contains among its exhibits, valuable manuscripts of Persian
and Arabic language varying their subject and scope wiz. religion, medicine, history and poetry.
The document section contains very rare and important farmans
proclamations, indentures, formal letters, official correspondence etc. in Persian being the official
language of the Mughal emperors and Nawabs, and come of them in English because of the inception of
European Companies and British influence in India. These documents also speak of the administrative
power of the Nawabs conferred upon them by Mughals, their skill to govern the affairs of Bengal,
Bihar and Orissa, their relations with the Companies and British administration, their gifts to English
friends and an exchange of their greeting and sorrow, their agreements with British powers regarding
administration and financial matters and many more aspects of the Nizamat.
The calligraphy throwing light on the aesthetic sense of the Nawabs.
The royal farman of Mughal emperor Shah Alam II
dated AH 1179 (1765 AD),
) by Lord Minto
on the death of Nawa's grand mother Babbu Begum
dated AH 1224 (1809 AD),
Private letter of Lord Hastings
to Nawab Mubarak Ali Khan date 1787-1788 AD are
Gallery No. 14 & 15 (Periodical Gallery I & II)
These two galleries have been organized for periodical display of the significant objects from a wider range
of reserve collections of this museum. Between the two, one exhibits the Ornamental Silver dressing table
of exquisite workmanship depicting the relief figure of contemporary socio religious life.
Apart from the floral and geometric motifs elegant carvings of celestial numphs and angels are also depicted.
A mirror is fitted at the centre surmounted by the royal insignia. This is a masterpiece of silver carving.
The paintings on the walls of the room include 'Windsor Castle
' by an English Painter,
' by an Italian artist, 'Winter scene in Holland
painted on paper by Vermalin
While the other, a silver dinning table containing a series of ornamental trays with flowers and candle
stands on it, plates and cutlery and decorative copper chandelier in the form of creepers at the corners.
The dinner plates on display have the royal insignia embossed on them.
Nawab Nazim Humayun Jah's
) collection of rare dining plates are notable.
The green dining plates were designed to shatter in case poisoned food was served.
Some oil paintings like the continental landscape and water colour paintings like lady dressing her hair, a lady in front of a door,
a lady serving wine etc. are also displayed on the walls.
Gallery No. 16 (Central Landing or Main Hall)
Some very important oil paintings associated with the main personalities of the palace are displayed here
along with others. A huge painting of Nawab Nazim Humayun Jah
shows him holding durbar with courtiers and
Colonel Duncan McLeod
, the architect of the Palace presinting the plan of the palace to the Nawab. Another
historically important oil painting by J.N. Roy
represents Robert Clive
receiving Dewani of Bengal from
Shah Allam II
in 1765. Oil paintings of a group of Nawabs of Oudh, Katra Mosque by Girija Shankar
Id-procession in front of Chowk Masjid by J.N. Roy are also displayed. AT the centre of the gallery the
with ivory handle used by Nawab Humayun Jah for laying foundation of the Palace is exhibited.
Gallery No. 17 (North-East Landing first floor)
A plethora of objects are displayed in this gallery among which some oil paintings like 'Flora' after Titan deserve special mention.
A beautiful marble statue of a standing European lady is remarkable
Gallery No. 18 (North-West Landing first floor)
Some oil paintings like 'Swiss Landscape
' by Malleure
, 'City of Venice
', 'Wind Mill on a hillock
' etc. are
displayed along with some stone objects, mirrors and chandelier.
Gallery No. 19 (Painting Gallery)
This gallery has been exclusively organized for display of some of the beautiful paintings in the collection of the Palace.
Those deserving mention include "Holy Family
" by Francesco Renaldi
an enchanting and lively presentation of 'Baccus and Ariadne
which shows the Greek god of wine trying to induce Greek deity Ariadne, 'Cavaliers of Venice
' by Marchatti
'The Marquis of Spinola
' by Van Dyke
by T Young
Colonel Duncan McLeod
A needle work on carpet portraying seated Queen Victoria
along with two babies and a litho print of
(another palace of Humayun Jah
) are also interesting.
Gallery No. 20 (Religious objects Gallery)
Unique in its concept this gallery has been organised with the objective to display mainly the objects used during
various religious observances of the Nawabs of Murshidabad. Most of the displayed objects were used in the religious
purposes of Muharram and Id festival and some were household objects. Important objects on display include a silver
helmet (1254 AH) of Nawab Nazim Feradun Jah
) (1838-1881 AD),
silver waist belt and silver tea set of Nawab Wasef Ali Mirza
(1906-1959 AD), decorated religious
banner with Arabic inscription of Quran, pankha with silver handle of Lutf-un-nisa Begum
with the Arabic inscription 'Bismilla
in silver of the period of Nawab Feradun Jah
, inscribed silver Panja
, silver Chob
(lion mask) and two numbers
zamana-alams in silver belonging to the period of Nawab Humayun Jah
Hazarduari Palace Library
The Library contains a large and varied Collection of Books and most rare and valuable oriental manuscripts.
Visitors are not allowed to enter the Library, except special permissions. Graphical embellishments of
various kinds, brilliantly colored inks, gold, enamel, highly finished ornamental and floral designs,
of every conceivable fanciful and elegant description, make the Korans and other books gorgeous and
artistically beautiful. Some mere perfections of the Calligraphers art.
The collection of Korans in this library is unique in India.
The total number of volumes in the Palace Library, Arabic, Persian, Urdu, English etc. is considerable.
The following are only a few specimens :
Hazarduari Palace Library :: Korans
Hazarduari Palace Library :: Secular Books
||Koran, written in Nastaliq Character by Hossein Tabrezi
for Nawab Sha Beg Khan. Bears, on the second Page, the Persian royal
Sher Khurshed or lion and Sun Coat of arms, which is also painted on the
last page of the book, which bears impressions of several seals,
indicating ownership at different times namely the seals of :
a) Sultan Mahomed Soleman
Meerza Safari Sha of Persia (1153 Hejera) with the crown of Persia.
b) Abul Fazl of Akbar's Court.
c) Nizam-ul-Mulk Moniruddowla Khadem Hossein Khan Nasir Jang.
d) Momtazuddowla Shujaul Mulk Sadat Ali Khan Bahadur, Nawab of Oudh.
e) Iftekharuddowla Mokram-ul-Mulk Syud Hussain Khan Bahadur, Feroze
f) Serferazuddowla, Nazim-ul-Mulk Hussain Reza Khan Bahadur, Jaffer
||Koran, Alumgiri, owned by the Emperor Alumgir for his personal use. Copied in
665 Hejera by Yaqoot Mustasimi, the celebrated Calligrapher,
who improved the present Arabic character from the Koofi style.
||Koran, written by Faizulla Mashadi in the time of Aurangazeb
(1105 Hejera) for Meerza Mahomed Kali Beg, the cost Rs 4,515 is endorsed on
||Koran, calligraphed by Mahomed Abdul Baker Huddad, known as
Huddad, the best Calligrapher; 1118 Hejera.
whole book copied on 16 pages only.
Calligraphed by Yaqoot Raqam Khan. Very rare and one of
the oldest properties of the Nizamat.
is written in Koofi character, on parchment, before the invention of
paper or the present Arabic character, probably in the first century of
the Hejera. Some pages are missing.
written in gold ink very old and rare
written in red ink by Mahomed Mostaqim, profusely
calligraphed by Mahomed Areff Yaqoot Raqam Khan, written
on gold leaf. Very fine and rare.
calligraphed by Mahomed Afzul, son of Mahomed Ali, on blue
paper, with gold ink (1099 Hejera).
small volume containing five chapters of the Koran, written on gold
written in Cashmere. Beautifully enamelled.
belonging to the library of the Emperors of Delhi and bearing the seals
of Alumgir and Sha Alam.
||Koran, a small volume, 2 inches by 2 inches.
the handwriting of Ali, brought from Arabia by Shuja Jhan at a cost of
one lac of rupees. Originally kept in the mosque at his mausoleum at
Roshni Bagh, was brought to the library.
Hazarduari Palace Library :: Picture Books
Morocco, calligraphed by celebrated Persian Meerza Vesal, known as Haji
Durbesh, who was unrivalled in the Shafia Character. Ornamented with
floral designs, much admired as a work of art.
Moroccajat Alamgiri, or selections from the writings of
celebrated calligraphers and the works of celebrated painters prepared
for Aurangazeb before his accession to the throne of Delhi.
Tofeh Asafia, calligraphed by Hafez Nurulla, written by
Mahomed Mohsen, the son of Fokruddin Ahmed Khan Bahadur, for Nawab
Asfuddowla, Subahdar of Oudh.
Timurnamah, written in 1000 Hejera, illustrated old writing.
Dewan-e-Laqueeth, Calligraphed by Yaqoot Mustasami in 682
A volume containing the following books written for Amir Jelaluddin
Khalilulla Bostani in 870 Hejera.
a) Dewan Amir Khusroo
b) Dewan Hafez
c) Dewan Hussan
d) Dewan Kasem
e) Dewan Maghrabi
f) Dewan Moulana Saeed
g) Dewan Toosi
h) Dewan Resala Anisul Arifin
i) Resala Maqasemath
j) Resala Anisur Ashekin
k) Resala Sawal Jawab
Anwar Sohli, calligraphed by Mahomed Yusuf Samarcandi in 940
Hejera in the time of Humayun, the Emperor at Delhi, in very good
Nastaliq Character containing many good illustrations. Belonged to the
Emperor Akbar. Bears his seal and his signature in the form - "Dida
Shud Allah Akber"
A volume containing the following books, calligraphed in 992 Hejera by
Abdul Kazem, son of Sultan Hossein.
a) Mukzunul Asrar
c) Sekundarnamah Behri
d) Khusroo Sheereen
e) Laila Majnoo
f) Bostan Sheik Sadi
g) Khumsa Nizami
Tuzuk Timoori, written by the celebrated Hafez Ibraheem by
order of Sha Alam.
Selections from Poets, very good handwriting, bears the seal of Sha Alam,
to whose library it belonged.
Tuzkurah-ut-Shora or the lives of Poets, by Doulat Sha, son of
Alauddowla Bakht Sha Ghazi Samarkandi. Caligraphed, in 892 Hejera., for
the author, by Mahomed Amen, son of Syud Mahomed. The writing is very
good and the matter is enclosed by lines of gold.
Akbarnamah, in two volumes. In the hand writing of Abul
Fazal Allami, minister of Akbar. This is the original manuscript
work in the handwriting of the author himself, namely, Abul Fazal one of
the Nabaratna, or Nine Jewels of the court of Akbar.
Dewan Maghrabi, calligraphed in 883 Hejera. Bears the
seals of the Emperors and belonged to the Imperial Library of Delhi.
Tufsir Molla Hosseini, by the son of Ali-ul-waez-ul-Kashefi.
Written in 897 Hejera.
Subhutool Abrar, by Molla Jami, written in Nastaliq
character in 949 Hejera
Mustaphanamah, or Universal History, in verse, a very big
volume, written for Sha Shuja, the son of Emperor Shah Jahan.
Bostan Sadi, in very good Nastaliq character, gilt enamelled and
decorated with floral designs. Very old and valuable. Calligraphed by
Meerza Mahomed, son of Sha Mahomed Turkestani.
Huft Paikur, by Nizami. illustrated, good handwriting.
Huft Band Kashi, writing very good. Written
for Khan Khanan Monaim Khanm, Subahdar of Bengal in 1574 AD.
Shanamah, in Nastaliq character. Illuminated and illustrated
throughout. This book was written in 829 Hejera for Shazada Baisanker
Khan, the son of Amir Timur, as appears from the preface of the book.
Sha Tamash, the second king of Persia of the Saffi Dynasty (975 Hejera)
presented the book to Akbar, who presented it to his third son, Sultan
Daniel, upon whose death it was inherited by Jahangir.
Poetical works of the celebrated poets of Persia, compiled and written
in 870 Hejera.
Pandanamah Jehangiri, in seven volumes, calligraphed by Mir Emad
in 1607 for the Emperor Jahangir in unique Nastaliq character. Mir
Emad was a great calligrapher who came to India from Persia in the time
of Akbar. These volumes were taken by the English from the Imperial
Palace Library of Delhi, during the great Indian Mutiny of 1857 AD and
afterwards sold by Messrs Hamilton and Company, the celebrated jewelers
of Calcutta, and purchased by the Late Nawab Nazim for Rs 7000. Now it
is kept at Calcutta Museum.
Seir-ul-Mutaqherin. There is in the Palace Library a manuscript
copy of the Seir-ul-Mutaqherin in Persian language, with marginal notes
in the author's own handwriting. The Seir-ul-Mutaqherin which means the
Review of the times is a very good comprehensive history of the
period 1118 to 1195 Hejera. and in its details rivals Roussuae's
Confessions or Sully's Memories. The author was Syud Golam Hossein Khan,
descended from a Tabatabite of the race of Hussan, and related to
Siraj-ud-Daulla, though not quite friendly to him. He commenced the book
on Tuesday, the 1st Safar, 1194 Hejera and completed it in one Year.
The following are some of the Important Paintings of Hazarduari Museum :
Hazarduari Palace Museum :: Important Paintings
||Recollections of the great Exhibition, 1851 AD
||Views of Rangoon, 1825 AD
||Zoological Researches in Java, 1824 AD
||The Ilaid of Homer, the Odyssey of Homer, the Theogony works and
the Days of Hesoid, Compositions from the Tragedies of Aeschylus, designed by
John Flaxman and engraved by Thomas Peroli and Frank Howard,
||The works of William Hogarth from the original
plates, restored by James Heath ( 1697-1764 AD) with explanations of the subjects
of the plates by John Nocholas.
||Picturesque Representation of the Naval and Military and
miscellaneous costumes of Great Britain.
||Early portraits of Queen Victoria.
||Boydell's graphic Illustrations of Shakespere.
||Liber Studiorum of Claude Lorraine By F.C. Lewis,
||Imitations of Claude Lorraine By F.C. Lewis, 1840 AD.
||Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, 1807 AD.
||Mansions of England in the olden time
||Compositions of the Acts of Mercy, By Flaxman, 1831 AD.
||Antiquities of London and its Environs, 1791 AD.
||The Cottar's Saturday Night, 1853 AD.
||Picturesque Voyage to India by way of China, 1810 AD.
||Wilkin's sketches in Turkey, Syria and Egypt, 1840 AD.
||Views of London, 1834 AD.
||Portraits of the Game and wild animals of Southern Africa, 1840
||Twenty-five Imitations of Sir Thomas Lawrence's finest drawings,
Sovereigns, Statesmen, Ladies ..etc. Dedicated to the Queen. By F.C. Lewis, 1839
||Character and Costumes of Afghanistan, By Willis Hart.
||Smyth's sketches of the Canadas
||English Scenery, By F.C. Lewis.
||Himalayan Botany, 1839 AD.
||Eighty-two Prints, engraved by F. Bartolozzi.
||Panorama of Dacca, containing, among others, the site of the Dacca
branch of the banking house of Jagat Seth of Murshidabad.
||Plantae Asiatical Rariores. Presented to the Directors of the East
India Company, 1830 AD.
||Sketches of the Danube, 1838 AD
||Illustrations of Constantinople, by F.C. Lewis, 1835 AD.
||Vie Politique et Militaire de Napolion, 1826 AD.
||Description and Figures of two hundred fishes of the Coromandal
Coast, 1803 AD.
||The Coronation of George IV, 1839 AD.
||Dresses of different Nations, ancient and modern, after the designs
of Holbern, Vandyke etc, 1772 AD.
||The Costumes of Hindustan - 1798-1799 AD.
||After the Storm
||Baccus and Ariandne
||Burrial of Sir John Moore
||Cavaliers of Venice
||Engel des Fegefeur
||Head of harold
||Sir W. Beechey
||Landscape in Tuscany
||Lieut. Colonel Collin Mackenzie
||Marquis of spinola
||Mrs. C Mackenzie
||Nawab Nazim Feradun Jah in Durbar
||Nawab Nazim Humayun Jah
||On the Bosphorus
||Scene of 30 Years War
||Temptation of St. Anthony
||The Berah on the River
||Sir E. Landseer
||The Music Party
||The Scotch Warrior
||The Sick Cupid
||Winter Scene in Holland
||Woman of Samaria