The District headquarter situated on the eastern bank of the Bhagirathi, is 9km south of Murshidabad. Berhampore has a history dated back to 600 AD.
A small town, about 4 Km from Berhampore, once was a big trading island for silk and muslin. It has Hindu, Jain, Muslim and British landmarks.
Situated on the east bank of river Bhagirathi, 9 Km north of Berhampore. Lalbagh is considered a part of the town of Murshidabad, the place of last Nawab Bahadur.
Jiaganj - Azimganj (জিয়াগঞ্জ-আজিমগঞ্জ)
Situated on the east bank of the river Bhagirathi, 9 Km north of Berhampore, facing Azimganj on the opposite bank. There are many Jain temples in this area.
A village in the Jangipur Sub-division, situated 16 Km north-west of Azimganj. The 15th century kherur mosque is the main attraction.
"বহু দিন ধরে বহু ক্রোশ দূরে,
বহু ব্যয় করি বহু দেশ ঘুরে
দেখিতে গিয়েছি পর্বত মালা,
দেখিতে গিয়েছি সীন্ধূ ।
দেখা হয় নাই চক্ষূ মেলিয়া
ঘর হতে শুধূ দুই পা ফেলিয়া
একটি ধানের শিষের উপরে
একটি শিশিরবিন্দু ।।"
৭পৌষ ১৩৩৬, শান্তিনিকেতন
I have travelled far and spent a lot to see countries, mountains, and rivers. But have never watched two steps
away from my home the beauty of a dewdrop on a sheaf of paddy. -- Rabindranath Tagore
can tour Murshidabad all round the year. Winter is the best time to visit and the months are from October to
March when the sun is mild and pleasant. Otherwise the temperature out here is 38° C almost throughout the year.
During the month of January the temperature varies from 8° C to 12° C, so always carry sufficient
wollen clothes during this time. Also try to drink mineral water while travelling in Murshidabad, since the District falls under groundwater
The tourist spots of Murshidabad district centering Berhampore can be broadly divided into 5 zones. go top
1. Berhampore (বহরমপুর) :
The headquarters of the District and situated on the eastern bank of the Bhagirathi, is 9 km south of Murshidabad. Places to see at Berhampore are :
1) Krishnath College
2) Krishnath College School
3) Berhampore Central Jail
4) Barrack Square field
5) Cemetery at Babulbona
6) Grant Hall
7) Bisnupur Kalibari
8) Lal Dighi
9) Catholic Church
10) Congregational Church
11) Pulses and Oilseeds Research Station or Berhampore Farm
12) Banks of River Bhagirathi
13) Armenian Church at Saidabad.
Rangamati is a village situated on the west bank of the Bhagirathi, 10 km south of Berhampore.
Rajbari Danga রাজবাড়ীডাঙ্গা at Karnasubarna কর্ণসুবর্ণ here is now home to the
ruins of the ancient Buddhist university of Rakta-mrittikā (রক্ত মৃত্তিকা "Red Soil").
The famous Chinese traveller, Xuanzang (হিউয়েন সাং Hiuen Tsang), who toured India in the seventh Century,
mentioned this university in his travelogues as an important centre of learning of the Vajrayani Buddhists
(The three sects of Buddhism are - Hinayana, Mahayana and Vajrayana).
The other sites close by have been excavated at Rakshashi Danga রাক্ষসীডাঙা (measuring 700 feet in circumference),
Sanyasi Danga সন্ন্যাসীডাঙা,
Bhimki Tala ভীমকিতলা
in 1929-30 by K.N. Dixit of the Archaeological Survey of India and Nilkuthi Mound.
According to Amal Roy, the superintendent of the state archaeology department team camping at Rakshashi Danga, "None of them has been fully explored...".
18 miles south-west of Berhampore, is the town of Kandi, headquarters of the subdivision of the same name.
The town owes much of its importance to its having been the seat of a wealthy and devout family of "Uttar Rarhi Kayastha",
who were originally known as the Kandi Rajas, but having taken up their residence at Paikpara in the neighbourhood of Calcutta, were also
generally called the Paikpara Rajas. Warren Hastings banian Ganga Gobinda Sinha of this family, amassed a
large fortune, much of which he afterwards devoted to the building of shrines. The Shrad, or funeral ceremonies, which he performed in memory of his mother, were
the most magnificent ever known in Bengal, costing twenty lakhs of rupees. Among other extravagances, "the guests were fed on Mohaproshad, or holy rice, brought in relays from the temple of Jagannath, in Puri."
A small town, about 4 km from Berhampore. It was a big trading island for silk and muslin and had
trading centres (kuthis) of various European people. The English established their factory in Gossimbazar (1658 - 1659 AD), and was one of the first places
selected for a station, which was subordinate to the agency at Hooghly.
The East India Company's first representatives there were John Kenn.
In 1658, Job Charnock was the Assistant
to the first ofiicer-in-charge of the Kuthi of the English people there.
The French had also a factory at Cossimbazar at this time and the Armenians had made a settlement at Saidabad
under the authority of a farman granted by Aurangzeb in 1665, and the Dutch had a factory at Kalkapur.
Gossimbazar annually exported about 22,000 bales of silk (of 100 lbs. each).
The places to see here are
1) Dutch Cemetery
2) The New Palace or Choto Rajbari
3) The Old Palace or Boro Rajbari
4) Old English Cemetery
5) Byaspur Shiva Temple
6) Paataleshwar Shiva Temple and the Sati Daha Ghat.
Is a part of the town of Murshidabad, it is the headquarter of the Lalbagh Subdivision. The court area is called
Lalbagh. The older town is called Murshidabad. This town is situated on the east bank of the river Bhagirathi, 9 km north of Berhampore.
Cossimbazar, Saidabad, Lalbagh, Chak Bazar, Nashipur, Jagat Seth's Katgola Garden were included in Older - Murshidabad.
The main attractions of Lalbagh are
1) Hazarduari Palace
2) Nizamat Imamabara
3) Old Madina Mosque
4) Wasef Manzil
5) Chowk Masjid
6) Nawab Bahadur Institute
7) Nashipur Palace
8) Kathgola Garden House
9) Adinath Temple
10) Jafarganj Cemetery
11) Nimak Haram Deorhi
12) Azim-un-nisa's tomb
13) Fauti or Phuti Masjid
14) Katra Mosque
15) Jahan Kosha Cannon
16) Moti Jheel Lake
17) Khosh Bagh Cemetery
The Azimganj town is situated on the western side of the river Bhagirathi and is within the Lalbagh (Murshidabad) Subdivision.
It is 20 km north of Berhampore. Three km from Azimganj railway station is Baranagore
famous for the temples of Rani Bhavani. The main attraction of Baranagore are
1) Jiaganj Museum মুর্শিদাবাদ জেলা সংগ্রহশালা
2) Charbangla temple চারবাংলা
3) Gangeshwar or Jorbangla temple জোরবাংলা 4) Bhabaneshwar temple 5) Nageshwar temple 6) Raj Rajesvari temple.
A little more than three miles west of Murshidabad city is Kiriteshwari or Kiritkona
One of the 51 Pithasthanas where the Kirit (the crown) of the goddess Sati have fallen. The Temple is just five kilometres from
Dahapara rail station, and is the oldest temple in the Murshidabad district.
The Dahapara Ashram (ডাহাপাড়া আশ্রম)
the sacred place of birth of Sri Sri Prabhu Jagadbandhu Sundar (1871-1921), situated on the western bank of river Bhagirathi
is 21/2 km from Murshidabad Railway Station and 3 Km from the Kiriteshwari temple.
Between Jiaganj and Azimganj there are several temples.
Jiaganj is situated on the east bank of the Bhagirathi, 10 km north of Murshidabad, facing Azimganj on the
opposite bank. It is a part of the twin Jiaganj-Azimganj Municipality. Jain temples in these twin cities are
situated on both sides of river Bhagirathi. These are the temples of
1) Tirthankar Neminath 2) Shantinath 3) Chintamani Parsvanath 4) Sumatinath
5) Padmaprabhu 6) Sambhavanath 7) Gaudi Parshvanath and Sanwalia Parsvanath (popularly known as Rambagh).
Jiaganj has temples of Lord Parsvanath, Sambhavanath, Vimalnath and Adinath besides a Dadabadi at Kiratbagh.
There is a temple of Adinath shree Rshabhadeva and a Dadabadi in Kathgola near Nashipur.
Azimganj is the home of the Jainas, whose ancestors emigrated from Bikanir in the latter half of the
18th century. One of the first to settle was Kharga Singh, who was living at Agra and came
to Murshidabad at the invitation of Jagat Seth in 1765. Another imigrant was Harjimal Dudhoria who came in 1774.
The lucrative trade of the Jainas and their moneylending transactions changed their fortunes and some
of their descendants became noted for their charities. Several members, by their genorosity and public
spirit, attracted the notice of Government and had honors conferred upon them.
There is not a single place in India which, within a short compass, has contributed so many names to the list of
"Rai Bahadur's" as Azimganj.